Sunday, February 10, 2008

Adversity brings Generosity!

It is with great pride that I mention the opportunity that I had Friday evening. In the light of the Clinton, Arkansas tornado disaster, I had the opportunity for my company to help serve hamburgers to about 175 hard working men.

I stumbled upon this opportunity by checking in at the local electric coop to talk to the manager there. In that trip I found that the women of the coop were trying to do what was near the impossible. Because of the massive power outtages in the area from the storms, there were approximately 175 lineman in the area. Many whom had come from all over the state of Arkansas to help out their brothers in need. These 5 or 6 ladies along with the help of some of the local linemans wives were trying to keep these men nourished three times a day so that they could stay close and concentrate on restoring electricity to the areas in need.

We asked if we might help by supplying an evening meal. This was met with open arms by ladies who on the second day out from the disaster had been up since 3:30 that morning. They had prepared the men with a hearty biscuit, ham and gravy breakfast, prepared a box lunch for them to take out on the job and were working on an evening meal that would start when the linemen trickled in from 7:00 p.m. to around 10:00 pm. These ladies were in their second day, looking exhausted, but also energized by the fact that they were doing what was needed.

My co-workers showed up at about 3:30 Friday with our portable grill, set it up and began cooking by 4:oo. by 6 pm we had cooked 380 hamburgers (at least two each for the hungry lineman) and had them stored in a hot air tight thermos cooler. We then began to prepare the room and help the ladies with their other needs in the kitchen. They were preparing some potato salad and beans.

I was able to stay there until about 9:30 and at that time there were still about 20 men out on the job. This was about 3 hours after dark. Their forman had reported in that they lacked just a little having another string of poles back up that would give light to another small area of the county. Rather than making those residents wait till morning, they wanted to "git-er-done"

Well, when the evening was all said and done, I felt that I had accomplished a great deal in helping these ladies with their purpose. But what I did not realize in doing this task was the spirit of concern, and pride that I would encounter from these ladies and the men that were doing the jobs in adverse situations.

Yes, adversity does bring on a great love and generosity.

I truly saw that evening what Jesus meant when he said "LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF"

Both the women furnishing the meals and the men doing the major task of rebuilding the infrastructure were exemplifying this principal.

I am thankful that I was able to be a small part of this and receive a great blessing.

My thoughths for now.

No comments: