Sunday, April 22, 2007

Where the Big Guns Roam!


Just returned from a Company Conference all about being the best we can be, being a team player and doing the right thing. What else is new in the world.

However, the best thing about the conference was the location. It was held at a facility now owned by Arkansas Tech University in Russellville, Arkansas. The Conference center is called Lake Point Conference Center. The Center had large conference and dining hall, two large lodging complexes that were very nice and was built around the Lake Dardanelle.

The thing that I found interesting was that this was previously owned by Tyson company. It was the Tyson Executive Training Center. History has it that the Tyson family used this as a retreat for themselves and their friends. It was stated that the dining hall was often used for meetings with people of fame such as Bill and Hillary Clinton.

It was at that time that, as much as I find history interesting and like to hear stories about the Big Guns of politics, I decided it was time to change the subject. One of the fellow workers, obviously a democrat, wouldn't let it go and went as far to tell how he had eaten there at one time with the Tysons and heard them tell stories of the clintons.

It was all I could stand and I had to speak up and let them know that I was not impressed and to let them know my disdain with the Clintons and their whole debacle. Not very professional of me, but very satisfying.

This might have been where my fellow worker thought the big guns had roamed, but as far as I was concerned, the pistole was without a bullet.

I went to bed in the facilities that night with fears that I might be sleeping where Bill slept with Hillary or maybe someone else.

Sorry! Shouldn't go there!

2 comments:

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

Man, I hope you took a good shower after that!!!

Anonymous said...

I stayed at this place and found it extremely odd. For example, there are rooms in each building, but only 6 thermostats - each in one of the rooms. There was a sign on the wall that said "If you need to adjust the temperature of your room, please see whoever is in room xxx." I complained at the front desk and they said "But it was that way when we got it from Tyson"... Pretty dumb for a University that claims to be using the facility to teach hotel and motel management. Also, the room was filthy, huge stains on the chairs, no desk in the room (hello...it's a conference center!!), paper thin walls and no peep hole in the door. The location is great, the grounds beautiful, but the facilities and the staff are way, way below par. Oh, I asked houskeeping for a bath mat and they said that they didn't have any. Stay there if you must, but take extra towels and slippers and get prepared for extra hot or cold room depending on what the guy down the hall has the thermo set to...