Sunday, August 5, 2007

Apreciation for Mexicans!

I enjoyed writing this and thought I would post on all of my Blogs. It originates on My Blog Hillbilly Willy and will also be on my blog Life in America.
_______________________________________



I was raised in the Panhandle of Texas in the 1950's - 1960's. Our farm was very much a cotton farm that in those days was labor intensive. This was much before the great cotton harvesters of today and the cotton harvesters of that day were initially Mexican labor - here legally- called braceros.

At the age of three or four years old an Old Mexican named Romaldo would allow me to sit on his cotton sack and he would pull me down the road. I was not a small child and this was not an easy fete. If you don't understand about this labor intensive job read this essay about "picking cotton"

Well, today I write, rant and rave about the illegal aliens in this country and how they are causing many problems with healthcare, jobs and many other aspects of American life. Many times when I discuss illegal aliens the Mexican population is mostly what I am discussing. The reason is that I have lived in Texas and now in Arkansas and the Spanish speaking people are very prevalent.

Well, in all of this I make a mistake as do many people of classifying all of these the same. The truth is that there are many Spanish speaking people in the United states that are just as legal to be here as I am. For this broad classification I apologize.

However, for all of those that are here illegally, I have no apologies. I simply say to them - get it right or get out. Illegal is illegal. If I steal, that is illegal and I pay the consequences. If you are here without the proper documentation or papers, that is illegal--pay the consequences.

Now to the other matter. I recently vacationed in Old Mexico. Because of American affluence we are sometimes able to have opportunities to go to things such as tourist resorts that are built in countries such as Mexico because of two things. Beautiful areas and cheap labor.

Well, as I observed Mexican men and women graciously waiting on me hand in foot for meager wages in a Mexico resort, it brought me to realize why they might possibly want to come to the United States. Where else could they have the opportunity to succeed and gain the wealth to be able to afford the type of luxury that they are giving to me.

The United States. They see this seemingly affluent life style and gain a desire to have a small part of it. They sacrifice even to the extent of being illegal to get what I appear to have.

As I proceeded out of the walls of the resort area on an excursion, I viewed the Mexican men and women at the end of the day, walking and bicycling across the road and into the Mayan woods to a small meager house with few amenities to spend the night so that they can gain some rest and come back and serve me another day.

This makes me have a greater appreciation for those here and there.

However, it does not change my mind about what is legal and what is illegal.

They need to get it right if they are going to stay.

Just a little seriousness on Willy's Part!

10-4 Willy

No comments: