Sunday, August 19, 2007

BBQ Ribs and Dad!

Its amazing the things that come to mind from nowhere. Maybe it is a sign of getting older and wanting to go back to a different day.

I was smoking some Pork Shoulder this past weekend and during the midst of the smoking my mind wandered back to a time in about 1982. I was barely married and living in Amarillo, Texas. My wife and I were having my parents up for the weekend and wanted to impress them with food and socializing.

We decided to BBQ some ribs. - First understand that at that time my dad was one who was very picky about what he ate. If it wasn't fried or cooked in grease it wasn't much to eat. Well the menu consisted of country style BBQ ribs, baked beans, home made potato salad and home made ice cream. My wife and I considered it a meal fit for a southern king.

Well it would have thrilled my wife if my dad had bragged about the beans or potato salad that she had made, but instead he ranted and raved over the ribs that I had cooked. He stated that these were the best ribs he had ever eaten. Mind you he never really bragged on any food.

My dad was about 64 at that time. Many times after that, even to a time only a couple of years ago, just before his death, he still remembered "how good" those ribs were.

Wow! Those were the good ole days! Maybe I miss them more than I realized!

1 comment:

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

I tried smoking some ribs once -- I think I prefer cigars...