Friday, November 2, 2007

Stupid Stunts and Good Samaritans!

Ok you say get on with the story. Well, yesterday I was out in the country making inspections on farms for my job. This is one part of the job that I usually enjoy since I am out of the office and not behind a desk.

Well, I had completed my two inspections early and was going down the road back toward a final appointment in town to talk to a man about a loan. Appointment was not for two hours.

Well, the beautiful day and the beautiful fall colors had me mesmerized and as I stared across the country I notice way up on the hill the house of a client that I had not visited in a while.

Plenty of time I said. Think I will stop by and see Buck. Well, I drove down the narrow lane, actually a dike that sliced across a creek to make a nice pond down below his house, to a set of cattle pens where I thought I saw Bucks truck.

When I got to the end of the road, I found that Buck was not there and that the gate was locked. The only retreat was to back my truck up back down the narrow road.

You guessed it. I looked off for a second and the next thing I knew the left wheel had gotten to close to the loose gravel and I had slipped sideways off of the road.

Not too bad you say! Yes, not too bad except that there was a very steep 20 foot drop off and no way to get the truck out without pulling it. Just a little bit of a slip and my nice new truck would be rolling down the hill. It was already so steep that I could hardly get out of the truck.

Well, a call went out from my cell phone to my office to find Bucks cell number. He is always around somewhere. Sure enough I called and he was about a mile off.

To my rescue he came and without questioning my ability or my thoughts, he fired up a tractor and eased me out of the ditch - no damage done except to his tow strap.

It became so wedged into the hitch on the tractor that the only way to get undone was to cut it off. Well, I have gladly replaced his $30 tow strap and even went to a Cattlemens meeting last night that he attended.

He never said a word except to thank me for the new tow strap and insist I should not have replaced it.

Could I have been that good of a Samaritan. Probably would have at least made a little fun of the decisions. Guess I still have a ways to go!

My thoughts for now.

No comments: